I am new to Utah
If you have become a resident of our state and need a Utah driver license follow these steps:
- Schedule an appointment for your visit, or walk-in at a driver license office.
- If you plan to walk-in you can complete the application in the office, or complete this online application ahead of time.
- Photo will be taken.
- Submit proof of driver education, or have a valid license from another state (which you will surrender upon application), or country to avoid having to carry a learner permit for 90 days and completing the online Traffic Safety and Trends Exam.
- Provide proof of identity, full social security number and two documents of Utah residence. Visit our required documentation page for what is acceptable proof.
- Pass the eye test.
- Pass a written knowledge test and driving skills test (one or both may be required.)
- Submit a nonrefundable fee of $32.00 if 21 and older; $39.00 for provisional (20 and under.)
If you are changing your name from what is on your current driver license, you must submit legal proof of the name change with a certified state marriage certificate, divorce decree, adoption papers, citizenship papers, guardianship papers, or a court document indicating the name change.
After all requirements for a driver license have been successfully completed, you will receive a temporary photo license on the same day. The completed driver license will then be mailed to you in approximately 6-8 weeks.