I Am Ready To Get My Driver License
Once you reach the age of 16 and you have carried your learner permit for six (6) months, you can apply for your Utah driver license by completing the following:
- Complete a course in driver education.
- Complete the online Traffic Safety and Trends Exam.
- Complete the driving skills test (see options below.)
- Schedule an appointment for your visit (recommended), or walk-in at a driver license office. If you plan to walk-in for your visit you can complete the driver license application in the office, or ahead of time online.
- Photo will be taken.
- Provide your learner permit (because your identity documents have already been scanned when you applied for your learner permit, you do not need to bring back with you again.)
- Pass the eye (vision) test.
- Parent/legal guardian must sign off on 40 hours of practice driving (10 at night.)
- Parent/legal guardian must sign for financial responsibility (for age 17 and under.)
- Submit a nonrefundable fee of $39.00.
The driving skills test must be completed before you can be licensed. You have three (3) options for completing your driving skills test:
- You may complete the driving skills test through your driver education class at your high school. If this is the case you have now completed all required testing. Return to a Driver License Office to complete the licensing process as stated above. It is recommended that you schedule an appointment for that visit.
- You may complete the driving skills test through the Utah Driver License Division by scheduling an appointment by phone with the office closest to you. Plan to arrive early to your driving skills test appointment to allow enough time to complete the licensing process as stated above.
- You can contact a certified commercial school and pay a fee to be tested. You will then need to return to a Driver License Office to complete the licensing process as stated above.
Be sure to understand the requirements/restrictions that are in place for the minor driver at certain ages.
At any time the parent or legal guardian who signed for financial responsibility on the minor’s application can choose to withdraw their signature until the minor is 18 years of age, and for any reason. This action would invalidate the driver license and the minor could reapply when they reach the age of 18, or if the parent/legal guardian signed a new application. There would be a licensing fee and written knowledge test to reapply.
When requirements have been met for a driver license, you will receive a temporary license with a photo on the same day and the completed license will be mailed to you in approximately 8-10 weeks.