I Am Ready To Get My Driver License
Once you reach the age of 16 and you have carried your learner permit for six (6) months you are ready to obtain your Utah driver license:
- Complete a course in driver education.
- Complete the online Traffic Safety and Trends Exam.
- Schedule an appointment for your visit, or walk-in at a driver license office.
- If you plan to walk-in for your visit you can complete the application in the office, or ahead of time online.
- Photo will be taken.
- Provide learner permit.
- Pass the eye (vision) test.
- Parent/legal guardian must sign off on 40 hours of practice driving (10 at night.)
- Parent/legal guardian must sign for financial responsibility (for age 17 and under.)
- Submit a nonrefundable fee of $39.00.
You have three (3) options for completing your driving skills test:
- You can take the driving skills test at the driver license office where you plan to complete the license process, but you must make an appointment for the driving skills test ahead of time by calling that office; or
- You can complete the driving skills test through your driver education class at your high school; or
- You can contact a certified commercial school and pay a fee to be tested.
Be sure to understand the requirements/restrictions that are in place for the minor driver at certain ages.
At any time the parent or legal guardian who signed for financial responsibility on the minor’s application can choose to withdraw their signature until the minor is 18 years of age, and for any reason. This action would invalidate the driver license and the minor could reapply when they reach the age of 18, or if the parent/legal guardian signed a new application. There would be a licensing fee and written knowledge test to reapply.
When requirements have been met for a driver license, you will receive a temporary license with a photo on the same day and the completed license will be mailed to you in approximately 8-10 weeks.