Driver License Menu

Minor Driver License

Click Provisional, Duplicate, New to Utah for more information and to schedule an appointment.

Provisional (first time license)DuplicateNew to Utah (previously licensed)


A minor driver is one who is under the age of 21 and is issued a provisional Class D driver license.

Every resident of Utah who drives a motor vehicle on the highways must have a valid Utah driver license, learner permit, or temporary driving permit.

Persons become residents and will need to obtain a Utah driver license if they:

  • Enter the state with the intention of making Utah their home.
  • Remain in the state for a period of six (6) months or more during any calendar year.
  • Obtain a driver license or register a motor vehicle in Utah.
  • Obtain privileges not extended to non-residents, including school tuition.
  • Are gainfully employed in Utah.  (This does not apply if you are on a temporary assignment in the state.)

Non-residents licensed by another state or country may drive in Utah if:

  • At least 16 years of age.
  • Temporarily assigned by an employer, religious or private organization, or governmental entity.
  • Military personnel and dependents who are temporarily assigned in Utah.

When applying for a Utah driver license, your privilege to drive cannot be suspended, revoked, disqualified, or denied in another state.

Under Utah law, the individual driver is responsible to refrain from driving if there is any uncertainty about his/her physical mental or emotional status which may affect driving safety.  If the condition persists, he/she is responsible for reporting it to the Driver License Division.

Select duplicate driver license for information if you are replacing and not renewing a lost or stolen Utah driver license, or if you have a name or address change.