Driving Privilege Card (DPC)
DPC Fingerprint Agencies
A person who would need to obtain a Utah driving privilege card (DPC):
- Individuals who are unable to establish legal/lawful presence.
- Individuals who are ineligible for a U.S. social security number and must obtain an individual tax identification number (ITIN) from the Internal Revenue Service.
- DPC would expire on the birth date in the first year from the date the card was issued or renewed.
- Individuals meeting these requirements would not be eligible to obtain a commercial driver license or identification card.
Requirements to be eligible for a DPC:
- You are a resident of Utah; and
- You are required to obtain a Utah learner permit or DPC in order to legally drive while here in Utah. The valid DPC allows the holder to operate a motor vehicle in Utah, but may not be used as a means of identification by any Utah government entities.
Process for obtaining a DPC:
- Schedule an appointment for your visit (recommended), or walk-in at a driver license office. If you plan to walk-in for your visit you can complete the driver license application in the office, or ahead of time online.
- Photo will be taken.
- Provide evidence of a driving privilege issued in another state, or country, or evidence of completion of a course in driver education to avoid having to carry a learner permit for 90 days if age 19 and older.
- Provide proof of identity (name and DOB.) Provide social security card or individual tax identification number (ITIN.) Provide two (2) documents of your Utah residence address. Visit our required documentation page to see what is acceptable proof of each type of document required.
- Completed fingerprint card and photograph from local agency.
- Completion of required written knowledge test and driving skills test.
- Pass the eye (vision) test.
- Submit nonrefundable fee of $25.00 for fingerprint process and $32.00 licensing fee.
After all requirements for a DPC have been successfully completed, you will receive a temporary document that is a receipt only. The completed Driving Privilege Card (DPC) will then be mailed to you in approximately 8-10 weeks.