Minor New To Utah (previously licensed)
If you are new to Utah and you have been previously licensed in another U.S. state or country, this is the process for you:
- Fill out the driver license application online prior to your visit and bring with you. Applications are available in the office, if needed.
- SCHEDULE a PROVISIONAL (under 21) driver license appointment for your visit.
- Photo will be taken.
- Provide proof of a valid U.S. state or country license. If coming from another U.S. state your driver license will be surrendered upon application and a validation check will be ran by the examiner to be sure your status is valid in all other states.
- Provide proof of identity (name and DOB.) Provide social security card. Provide two (2) documents of Utah residence address. Visit our required documentation page for what is acceptable proof of each type of document required.
- Pass the eye (vision) test.
- Pass a 25-question open-book written knowledge test, using the driver handbook.
- If 17 and under parent/legal guardian must sign for financial responsibility.
- Submit a nonrefundable fee of $39.00.
If the name from your driver license or identity card is different than the name on your identity document (e.g., birth certificate, passport) it must be accompanied by legal documentation authorizing the name change. These include a certified state marriage certificate, divorce decree, adoption, citizenship, guardianship, or court documents indicating the name change.
Be sure to understand the requirements/restrictions that are in place for the minor driver at certain ages.
At any time the parent or legal guardian who signed for financial responsibility on the minor’s application can choose to withdraw their signature until the minor is 18 years of age, and for any reason. This action would invalidate the driver license and the minor could reapply when they reach the age of 18, or if the parent/legal guardian signed a new application. There would be a licensing fee and written knowledge test to reapply.
When requirements have been met for a driver license, you will receive a temporary license with a photo on the same day and the completed license will be mailed to you in approximately 8-10 weeks.