Minor Renewal in Person
Requirements for renewing your Utah driver license in person:
- You can renew your Utah driver license six (6) months prior to the expiration date. If your Utah driver license will expire while you are temporarily out-of-state, you can apply to renew your Utah driver license more than six (6) months prior to the expiration date, if you provide proof that you will be absent from the state during the six (6) month period prior to the expiration date of your driver license.
- You will need to visit one of our Driver License offices.
- You will take a photo upon arrival.
- You will be required to pass the eye test.
- Submit a nonrefundable fee of $52.00.
- Bring your current Utah driver license.
- If your Utah residence address has changed from what is on your current driver license, you will be required to provide two (2) documents of your Utah residence address. Visit the Required Documentation page for what is acceptable proof. You can also submit the address change online to avoid having to provide proof when coming into the office to renew.
- A 25-question open-book written knowledge test may be required if you have had more than four (4) citations in five (5) years, have been suspended or revoked, or your Utah driver license has been expired for more than six (6) months.
- Complete the driver license application online.
- Once you have completed the application you will be directed to schedule a renewal appointment for your visit.
- Click here to get started.
Note: If you renew your driver license before your 21st birthday the driver license will still show minor; however, it will still be good for eight (8) years. You would not be issued an “adult” driver license until on or after your 21st birthday.
Note: If the name from your driver license or identity card is different than the name on your identity document (e.g., birth certificate, passport) it must be accompanied by legal documentation authorizing the name change. These include a certified state marriage certificate, divorce decree, adoption, citizenship, guardianship, or court documents indicating the name change.
Note: By law you may not possess more than one REAL ID compliant certificate at a time (e.g., Utah driver license and a Colorado ID.)
After all requirements for a license have been successfully completed, you will receive a temporary license with a photo on the same day. The completed license with an 8-year expiration will then be mailed to you in approximately 4-6 weeks.