Driver License Menu

Utah Minor Duplicate License

Replace lost or stolen Utah driver license, update new Utah residence address, or name change by following these steps:

  • Fill out the driver license application online prior to your visit and bring with you.  Applications are available in the office, if needed.
  • SCHEDULE a duplicate driver license appointment for your visit.
  • Photo will be taken.
  • Pass the eye (vision) test.
  • If your Utah residence address has changed from what is on your current Utah driver license, or you don’t have your current driver license in your possession, you will be required to provide two (2) documents of your Utah residence address.  Visit required documentation page for what is acceptable proof.  You can also submit the address change online to avoid having to provide proof when coming into the office to obtain a new driver license.
  • Submit a nonrefundable fee of $23.00.

If your driver license was an out-of-state driver license you will need to visit – Minor New To Utah (previously licensed) page and obtain a provisional Utah driver license.

When obtaining a duplicate Utah driver license your expiration date will remain the same as it currently is.  If you are within six (6) months of your expiration date, you would be eligible to renew your Utah driver license for the next five (5) years.

It is not required that you obtain a new driver license with your new residence address, you can simply change your address online within ten (10) days of moving.

If you renew your driver license before your 21st birthday the driver license will still show minor; however, it will still be good for eight (8) years.  You would not be issued an “adult” driver license until on or after your 21st birthday.

If the name from your driver license or identity card is different than the name on your identity document (e.g., birth certificate, passport) it must be accompanied by legal documentation authorizing the name change.  These include a certified state marriage certificate, divorce decree, adoption, citizenship, guardianship, or court documents indicating the name change.

The parent or legal guardian who signed for the original driver license does not need to sign again for a duplicate driver license, unless however, there was a signature withdrawal from the parent/legal guardian (see below for explanation.)

Be sure to understand the requirements/restrictions that are in place for the minor driver at certain ages.

At any time the parent or legal guardian who signed for financial responsibility on the minor’s application can choose to withdraw their signature until the minor is 18 years of age, and for any reason.  This action would invalidate the driver license and the minor could reapply when they reach the age of 18, or if the parent/legal guardian signed a new application.  There would be a licensing fee and written test to reapply.

When requirements have been met for a driver license, you will receive a temporary license with a photo on the same day and the completed license will be mailed to you in approximately 4-6 weeks.