I Need Both the Written and Driving Tests
Once you reach the age of 15 you can start the driver license process. A driver who is under the age of 21 is considered a minor and is issued a provisional Class D driver license. Here are the steps you need to follow in order:
- Apply for your learner permit.
- Complete a course in driver education.
- Complete the online Traffic Safety and Trends Exam.
- Complete the driving skills test (you have three options.) You may take the test at the Driver License Division, your driver education class at the high school, or a third party tester at a commercial driving school.
- Once you have completed steps 1-4, visit our ready to get my license page on how to finish the process and obtain your Utah driver license.
Be sure to understand the requirements/restrictions that are in place for the minor driver at certain ages.
At any time the parent or legal guardian who signed for financial responsibility on the minor’s application can choose to withdraw their signature until the minor is 18 years of age, and for any reason. This action would invalidate the driver license and the minor could reapply when they reach the age of 18, or if the parent/legal guardian signed a new application. There would be a licensing fee and written knowledge test to reapply.