Utah Original Driver License
If you are an adult (21 and older) and need to apply for your first time driver license, or you have recently become a new resident of our state and need a Utah driver license follow these steps:
- Fill out the driver license application online prior to your visit and bring with you. Applications are available in the office, if needed.
- SCHEDULE an original driver license appointment for your visit.
- Photo will be taken.
- Submit proof of driver education, or have a valid driver license from another state (which you will surrender upon application), or country, to avoid having to carry a learner permit for 90 days and completing the online Traffic Safety and Trends Exam.
- Provide proof of identity (name and DOB.) Provide social security card. Provide two (2) documents of Utah residence address. Visit our required documentation page for what is acceptable proof of each type of document required.
- Pass the eye (vision) test.
- Pass a written knowledge test and driving skills test (one or both may be required.)
- Submit a nonrefundable fee of $52.00 if 21 and older; $39.00 for provisional (20 and under.)
If the name from your driver license or identity card is different than the name on your identity document (e.g., birth certificate, passport) it must be accompanied by legal documentation authorizing the name change. These include a certified state marriage certificate, divorce decree, adoption, citizenship, guardianship, or court documents indicating the name change.
After all requirements for a driver license have been successfully completed, you will receive a temporary license with photo on the same day. The completed driver license will then be mailed to you in approximately 8-10 weeks.