Applicants for third party testers may be become licensed by meeting the license requirements of a private driving school and private driver education instructor. See rules for opening a driving school below.
Would you like to open a Driving School?
Persons interested in opening a driver training school must read the Utah Administrative Rule R708-2. Then complete an approved instructor preparation course. This course will prepare you to instruct new drivers.
The potential school owners must submit the following information:
- A school application.
- An instructor application for each instructor.
- A business plan prepared by the school operator.
- A fingerprint card for all school owners, operators and instructors for a criminal background check (school is responsible for all costs associated with the check.)
- A course curriculum detailing how the school will provide required training hours.
- All forms, quizzes, tests, videos, training materials and resources that will be used.
Once the school has submitted this information, the Division has 60 days to review all the information for accuracy and provide any feedback for changes if necessary. The school must then fix any problems and submit the changes to the Division for final approval.
Once all background checks and curriculum have been completed all operators and instructors must pass a 100-question written knowledge test and take a driving skills test. The Division will conduct a site inspection of the school. The Division is checking to make sure that the location meets the requirements of administrative rule.
Schools that offer instructor preparation courses:
- A-1 Driving School – 801.943.2525
- Coach Henry’s Driving School – 801.885.3433
- Revolution Driving School – 801.359.4400
- The Driving School – 435.843.9088
- Independent Driving School – 801.636.0542
- Wright Driving School – 801.209.2328
- Zion View Driving School – 435-229-2110
- National Driving School – 801-502-7985
For additional information contact our Customer Service at 801.965.4437 or toll free at 888.353.4224.