Utah Driver License Renewal
If you have received a letter in the mail indicating eligibility to renew online, click here. If you have misplaced this letter and need the PIN number required to renew online, please call our Customer Service at 801.965.4437 or toll free at 888.353.4224. (This letter is generally mailed to you 90 days prior to the expiration date to the address on file.)
You can renew your Utah driver license six (6) months prior to the expiration date by following these steps:
- If you plan to renew your Utah driver license in the office, fill out the driver license application online prior to your visit and bring with you. Applications are available in the office, if needed.
- SCHEDULE a renewal appointment for your visit.
- Photo will be taken.
- Pass the eye (vision) test.
- Provide current Utah driver license.
- If your Utah residence address has changed from what is on your current driver license, you will be required to provide two (2) documents of your Utah residence address. Visit the required documentation page for what is acceptable proof. You can also submit the address change online to avoid having to provide proof when coming into the office to renew.
- Submit a nonrefundable fee of $52.00.
License renewals are good for eight (8) years and will expire on your birth date of the eighth year.
A 25-question open-book written knowledge test may be required if you have had more than four (4) citations in eight (8) years, have been suspended or revoked, or your Utah driver license has been expired for more than six (6) months.
If the name from your driver license or identity card is different than the name on your identity document (e.g., birth certificate, passport) it must be accompanied by legal documentation authorizing the name change. These include a certified state marriage certificate, divorce decree, adoption, citizenship, guardianship, or court documents indicating the name change.
If your Utah driver license will expire while you are temporarily out-of-state, you can apply to renew your Utah driver license more than six (6) months prior to the expiration date, if you provide proof that you will be absent from the state during the six (6) month period prior to the expiration date of your driver license.
After all requirements for a license have been successfully completed, you will receive a temporary license with a photo on the same day. The completed license will then be mailed to you in approximately 8-10 weeks.