Utah Driver License Renewal
You can renew your Utah driver license six (6) months prior to the expiration date.
If you have received a letter in the mail indicating eligibility to renew online, click here. If you have misplaced this letter and need the PIN number required to renew online, please call our Customer Service Section at 801.965.4437 or toll free at 888.353.4224. (This letter is generally mailed to you 90 days prior to your expiration date.)
- If you plan to renew your Utah driver license in the office you can schedule an appointment for your visit (recommended), or walk-in at a driver license office. If you plan to walk-in for your visit you can complete the driver license application in the office, or ahead of time online.
- Photo will be taken.
- Pass the eye (vision) test.
- Provide current Utah driver license.
- If your Utah residence address has changed from what is on your current driver license, or you don’t have your current driver license in your possession, you will be required to provide two (2) documents of your Utah residence address. Visit required documentation page for what is acceptable proof. You can also submit the address change online to avoid having to provide proof when coming into the office to renew.
- Submit a nonrefundable fee of $32.00.
License renewals are good for five (5) years and will expire on your birth date of the fifth year. (January 2020, the expiration date will change from five (5) years to eight (8) years.)
25-question written knowledge test (open-book) may be required if you have had more than four (4) citations in five (5) years, have been suspended or revoked, or your Utah driver license has been expired for more than six (6) months.
If the name from your driver license or identity card is different than the name on your identity document (e.g., birth certificate, passport) it must be accompanied by legal documentation authorizing the name change. These include a certified state marriage certificate, divorce decree, adoption, citizenship, guardianship, or court documents indicating the name change.
If your Utah driver license will expire while you are temporarily out-of-state, you can apply to renew your Utah driver license more than six (6) months prior to the expiration date, if you provide proof that you will be absent from the state during the six (6) month period prior to the expiration date of your driver license.
After all requirements for a license have been successfully completed, you will receive a temporary license with a photo on the same day. The completed license will then be mailed to you in approximately 8-10 weeks.