Utah Driver License Renewal
You can renew your Utah driver license 6 months prior to the expiration date.
If you have received a letter by mail indicating eligibility to renew online, click here. If you have misplaced this letter and need the PIN number required to renew online, please call Customer Service at 801.965.4437.
- If you need to renew your Utah driver license in the office you can schedule an appointment for your visit, or walk-in at a driver license office;
- If you plan to walk-in you can complete the application in the office, or complete this online application ahead of time;
- Photo will be taken;
- Pass the eye test;
- Complete the medical questionnaire;
- Provide current Utah driver license and if your residence has changed from what is on your current driver license, or you don’t have your current driver license in possession, you will be required to provide two proofs of your Utah residence. Visit required documentation page for what is acceptable proof;
- Submit a nonrefundable fee of $25.00; and
- License renewals are good for 5 years and will expire on your birth date of the 5th year
25-question written test (open-book) may be required if you have had more than 4 citations in 5 years, have been suspended or revoked, or your Utah driver license has been expired for more than 6 months.
If you are changing your name from what is on your current driver license, you must submit legal proof of the name change with a certified state marriage certificate, divorce decree, adoption papers, citizenship papers, guardianship papers, or a court document indicating the name change.
If your Utah driver license will expire while you are temporarily out of state, you can apply to renew your Utah driver license more than six months prior to the expiration date, if you provide proof that you will be absent from the state during the six-month period prior to the expiration date of your license. You will also need to provide the required documentation for the renewal process.
After all requirements for a license have been successfully completed, you will receive a temporary photo license on the same day. The completed license will then be mailed to you in approximately 6-8 weeks.