Driver License Menu

What is a CDL?

A commercial driver license or “CDL” is a license that allows you to drive a commercial motor vehicle (CMV).  A CMV is a motor vehicle used in commerce to transport passengers (16 or more including the driver) or property with a gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) of 26,001 pounds or more or a gross combination weight rating (GCWR) of 26,001 pounds or more, including a towed unit with a gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) of 10,001 pounds or more.

  • You need to hold a regular “Class D” driver license from any state or country for a minimum of one (1) year.
  • You must be at least 18 years of age.  You are considered a minor until age 21.
  • You need a Department of Transportation Medical Certificate – MCSA-5876 (DOT card.)
  • Complete the Utah self-certification form when you apply for the CDL.
  • Complete Entry Level Driver Training (ELDT) for the appropriate CDL class and/or endorsement(s). For information about the ELDT and how to contact a training provider, you will need to go to the Training Provider Registry (TPR) website.

FMCSA (Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration) is the Federal agency that makes the majority of the rules. Utah also has some rules that come into play.