Driver License Menu


Do I need my DOT physical card before I take the CDL written knowledge tests?

Yes; to apply for a commercial driver license, you must be at least 18 years old, present your current driver license, a current DOT medical card or medical long form and present original or copies certified by the issuing agency showing proof of identity, full social security number and two documents of Utah residence, if it is different than the address on your current Utah record, and evidence of name change, if applicable.  You must have one (1) year of driving experience.  If you are under 21 years old, you will be restricted to intrastate operation and will not be able to apply for hazardous materials, passenger, or school bus endorsements.  Click here to see what documents work as proof.

I am a commercial (CDL) driver.  Can I renew by internet?

No; Federal guidelines require that a CDL driver complete an application with updated information and required certification for each renewal.  If a CDL driver moves or changes names at a time other than renewal, the driver is required to apply for a duplicate license within 30 days of the change.

How do I know if I need a CDL?

For more information, click here.

I have a school bus endorsement, do I have to take a test to renew it?

Yes; all applicants for a school bus endorsement are required to take the school bus written knowledge test.  View the current version of the Utah commercial driver handbook  for more information.

How do I drop my CDL for a regular Class D driver license?

You will need to appear at one of our field offices and complete a new driver license application, pay the appropriate fee, and sign a form stating that you are forgoing your CDL.