Driving Skills Test
The driving skills test must be completed before you can be licensed. You have three (3) options for completing your driving skills test:
- You may complete the driving skills test through us by SCHEDULING a driving skills test appointment (you can only attempt ONE (1) driving skills test per day.)
- You may complete the driving skills test through your driver education class at your high school. Once completed, SCHEDULE a PROVISIONAL (UNDER 21) driver license appointment with us to complete the licensing process.
- You may contact a certified Third Party Road Tester and pay a fee to be tested. Once completed, SCHEDULE a PROVISIONAL (UNDER 21) driver license appointment with us to complete the licensing process.
The driving skills test is to evaluate driving behaviors, which demonstrates that you possess the basic skills, knowledge and abilities, to safely maneuver a vehicle in compliance with Utah State Traffic Rules and Regulations, and generally accepted safe driving practices. You must have the ability to read and understand simple English used in highway traffic and directional signs. You should be capable of following simple instructions, necessary for successful and safe completion of the driving skills test.
If you have never been issued a driver license (anywhere) you will be required to complete the following when applying for a Utah driver license:
- Complete a written knowledge test
- Complete a driver education course (depending on age)
- Complete a driving skills test
If you are licensed in another state or country, you may be required to complete a driving skills test before obtaining a Utah driver license (written knowledge test required.)
Driving skills test results are submitted electronically to the Utah Driver License Division when completed at your high school or through a third party road tester.
An applicant may not use the services of a third party road tester when:
- An applicant has a Utah driver license and has been requested to take a driving skills test by a physician, other medical professional or by a law enforcement officer; or
- An applicant has been requested by the Driver License Division to complete additional hours of driver training.
DRIVING SKILLS TEST REQUIREMENTS
If you are required to complete the driving skills test you must provide the vehicle to be used. It must be properly registered and comply with vehicle safety laws, including functioning safety belts. The vehicle may be rejected if its condition could cause harm to the examiner’s person or clothes. The applicant and the examiner are the only occupants allowed in the vehicle during the driving skills test. In addition to road rules and regulations, you will be judged on the use of proper driving techniques and other important elements of safe driving, such as your general behavior and attitude. During the driving skills test, you will not be asked to do anything that is against the law.
The following is a partial list of items on which you may be evaluated on during the driving skills test:
Proper use of lanes
Left and right turns
Starting and stopping
Parking on hills and between cars
Observance of traffic signs and signals
Attention at intersections
If you fail the driving skills test you will be expected to practice before taking another test. You may take only one (1) driving skills test in a day. Failure to pass the required tests in three (3) attempts will result in having to pay another fee.
All tests must be completed within six (6) months from the day you pay your fee. Any person may be asked to complete a driving skills test if the examiner feels the applicant’s ability to drive may be in question.
Before your scheduled driving skills test appointment watch the Utah Road Test video on our YouTube channel posted below for some great information.