Third Party Tester Application Process
The purpose of this third party tester program is to allow driver education instructors to administer driving skills tests. Instructors who successfully complete the five (5) day training program can then apply for certification with the Driver License Division to test the driving skills portion of the licensing process.
Applicants for third party testers may become licensed by meeting the license requirements of a private driving school and private driver education instructor. See rules for opening a driving school below.
Process for opening a driving school:
- Read Utah Administrative Rule R708-2.
- Complete an approved instructor preparation course (will prepare you for instructing new drivers.)
- Submit a school application.
- Submit an instructor application for each instructor.
- Submit a business plan prepared by the school operator.
- Submit a fingerprint card for all school owners, operators and instructors for a criminal background check (school is responsible for all costs associated with the check.)
- Submit a course curriculum detailing how the school will provide required training hours.
- Submit all forms, quizzes, tests, videos, training materials and resources that will be used.
Once the school has submitted this information, the Driver License Division has 60 days to review all the information for accuracy and provide any feedback for changes if necessary. The school must then fix any problems and submit the changes for final approval.
Once all background checks and curriculum have been completed all operators and instructors must pass a 100-question written knowledge test and take a driving skills test. The Driver License Division will conduct a site inspection of the school to make sure that the location meets the requirements of the administrative rule.
Schools that offer instructor preparation courses:
- A-1 Driving School – 801.943.2525
- Coach Henry’s Driving School – 801.885.3433
- Revolution Driving School – 801.359.4400
- The Driving School – 435.843.9088
- Independent Driving School – 801.636.0542
- Wright Driving School – 801.209.2328
- Zion View Driving School – 435-229-2110
- National Driving School – 801-502-7985
For additional information contact our Customer Service at 801.965.4437 or toll free at 888.353.4224.