Driver License Menu

CDL Effective Changes and FAQs


The ELDT regulations set the minimum Federal requirements for training that entry-level drivers must complete before being permitted to take certain commercial driver license (CDL) skills or knowledge tests on or after February 7, 2022.

FMCSA’s ELDT regulations set the baseline for training requirements for entry-level drivers. This includes those applying to:

  • Obtain a Class A or Class B CDL for the first time;
  • Upgrade an existing Class C CDL to a Class B or Class A CDL;
  • Upgrading an existing class B CDL to a Class A CDL; or
  • Obtain a school bus (S), passenger (P), or hazardous materials (H) endorsement for the first time.

The ELDT consists of two (2) different types of training, Theory and Behind the Wheel (Range/Public Road.) Theory training can be completed prior to applying for the Class/Endorsement. However, a permit has to be obtained before any Behind the Wheel training can be administered.

The ELDT regulations are not retroactive; the entry-level driver training requirements do not apply to individuals holding a valid CDL or an S, P, or H endorsement issued prior to the ELDT compliance date. However, a commercial learner permit (CLP) renewal will require ELDT compliance before a skills test can be administered.

The ELDT regulations do not apply to individuals who:

  • Obtains a permit prior to the ELDT compliance date or obtains a CDL before the permit or renewed permit expires;
  • Military personnel who meet all requirements and conditions of 49 CFR 383.77 & UCA 53-3-410; or
  • Individuals applying for the removal of a restriction from their current CDL (Manual(E), Airbrake(L), Tractor-Trailer(O), etc.)

For more information regarding the ELDT, please visit

For information on how to become an approved Training Provider, please visit


All CDL drivers who operate Commercial Motor Vehicles (CMV) on public roads, their employers, and service agents must register with the Drug and Alcohol Clearinghouse. 

If the Utah Driver License Division receives notification from the Drug and Alcohol Clearinghouse that an individual is prohibited from operating a commercial Motor Vehicle (CMV), the Driver License Division will not be able to issue, renew, upgrade, or transfer a commercial driver’s license (CDL), or commercial learner’s permit (CLP), until the individual has completed the return-to-duty process and the Drug and Alcohol Clearinghouse has cleared the driver for operating a CMV. 

For information regarding the Drug and Alcohol Clearinghouse or the return-to-duty process, please visit


49 CFR 383.141 requires an individual transporting Hazardous material to pass a Transportation Security Administration (TSA) background check and be renewed at least every five (5) years to maintain the endorsement. 

Effective March 1, 2020, TSA issued an exemption that enables State Driver License Agencies (SDLA’s) to issue the Hazmat endorsement to a valid TWIC holder without a new security threat assessment from TSA under certain requirements.

To verify eligibility, please schedule an appointment with a Driver License office and present your TWIC card for verification.