Add Motorcycle Endorsement
Process for obtaining a motorcycle endorsement:
- Complete the driver license application online prior to your visit and bring with you. Applications are available in the office, if needed.
- Schedule a duplicate driver license appointment to apply for the motorcycle endorsement.
- Photo will be taken upon arrival.
- Bring your current Utah driver license.
- Provide two (2) documents of Utah residence address if your address has changed.
- Pass an eye test.
- Pass a 25-question written knowledge motorcycle test (scores are good for one (1) year.)
- Submit the fee for a renewal or duplicate driver license plus the motorcycle endorsement fee of $18.00.
Another way to obtain your motorcycle endorsement is to take a Motorcycle Safety Foundation Beginning Rider Course (BRC.) Utah has a few schools that teach the beginning rider course. Once this course is successfully completed, you will be given a completion card to be taken into a Driver License Office when you apply for the endorsement, this card waives the motorcycle driving skills test portion.
Once the written knowledge motorcycle test is successfully completed, you will receive a motorcycle learner permit. This permit will allow you to operate your car and any size motorcycle. When ready, you will need to schedule a motorcycle driving skills test appointment at the same Driver License Office to complete the motorcycle driving skills test (unless you have the ERC or BRC completion card.) You will be permitted to bring your own motorcycle to the office with your permit. If you successfully complete the motorcycle driving skills test you will be finished and in 4-6 weeks you will receive your completed license in the mail. The motorcycle must be properly registered and comply with vehicle safety laws.
For the first two (2) months of the permit you will be restricted to riding a motorcycle with:
- No passengers.
- No riding between the hours of 10:00 pm and 6:00 am.
- No riding on highways posted more than 60 miles an hour.
- There are no restrictions to your permit for the third through six (6) months.
- If you test on a motorcycle/scooter 90 cc or less, you will be restricted to riding motorcycles/scooters 90 cc or less.
- If you test on a motorcycle/scooter 249 cc or less, you will be restricted to riding motorcycles/scooters 249 cc or less.
- If you test on a motorcycle/scooter 649 cc or less, you will be restricted to riding motorcycles/scooters 649 cc or less.
- If you test on a motorcycle/scooter larger than 650 cc, you will not be restricted, you will be authorized to ride any size motorcycle/scooter.
After all requirements for a license have been successfully completed, you will receive a temporary license with a photo on the same day. The completed license will then be mailed to you in approximately 4-6 weeks.