Add Motorcycle Endorsement
Requirements for adding a motorcycle endorsement to your Utah driver license:
- You will need to visit one of our Driver License offices.
- You will take a photo upon arrival.
- You will be required to pass the eye test.
- Submit a nonrefundable fee for a renewal or duplicate driver license plus the motorcycle endorsement fee of $18.00.
- Bring your current Utah driver license.
- If your Utah residence address has changed from what is on your current driver license, you will be required to provide two (2) documents of your Utah residence address. Visit the Required Documentation page for what is acceptable proof. You can also submit the address change online to avoid having to provide proof when coming into the office to add the endorsement.
- Take the 25-question motorcycle written knowledge test (scores are good for one (1) year.) When passed you will be issued a motorcycle learner permit which allows you to operate your car and any size motorcycle.
- You have two (2) options for completing the motorcycle driving skills test:
- You can schedule this test with us at the Driver License Division when you have passed the written knowledge test (you will need to bring your own motorcycle and it must be properly registered and comply with vehicle safety laws); or
- You can take a Motorcycle Safety Foundation Beginning Rider Course (BRC.) Utah has a few schools that teach the beginning rider course. Once this course is successfully completed, you will be given a completion card to be taken into a Driver License office when you apply for the endorsement, this card waives the motorcycle driving skills test portion.
- Schedule a duplicate appointment (or renewal if your driver license expires in the next 6 months) for your visit.
- Complete the driver license application online and bring with you.
For the first two (2) months of the motorcycle learner permit you will be restricted to riding a motorcycle with:
- No passengers.
- No riding between the hours of 10:00 pm and 6:00 am.
- No riding on highways posted more than 60 miles an hour.
- There are no restrictions to your permit for the third through six (6) months.
- If you test on a motorcycle/scooter 90 cc or less, you will be restricted to riding motorcycles/scooters 90 cc or less.
- If you test on a motorcycle/scooter 249 cc or less, you will be restricted to riding motorcycles/scooters 249 cc or less.
- If you test on a motorcycle/scooter 649 cc or less, you will be restricted to riding motorcycles/scooters 649 cc or less.
- If you test on a motorcycle/scooter larger than 650 cc, you will not be restricted, you will be authorized to ride any size motorcycle/scooter.
After all requirements for a license have been successfully completed, you will receive a temporary license with a photo on the same day. The completed license will then be mailed to you in approximately 4-6 weeks.