Driver License Menu

Minor Limited-Term Renewal

Requirements for renewing your Utah limited-term driver license:

  • You can renew your Utah limited-term six (6) months prior to the expiration date. Suppose your Utah limited-term will expire while you are temporarily out of state. In that case, you can apply to renew your Utah limited-term more than six (6) months prior to the expiration date if you provide proof that you will be absent from the state during the six (6) month period prior to the expiration date of your limited-term.
  • You will need to visit one of our Driver License offices.
  • You will take a photo upon arrival.
  • You will be required to pass the eye test.
  • Submit a nonrefundable fee of $39.00.
  • Bring your current Utah limited-term.
  • You will need to bring your current lawful presence document.
    • A S.A.V.E. verification will be run to verify your document status.
    • Click this link to understand S.A.V.E. verifications.
  • If your Utah residence address has changed from what is on your current limited-term, you will be required to provide two (2) documents of your Utah residence address. Visit the Required Documentation page for what is acceptable proof. You can also submit the address change online to avoid having to provide proof when coming into the office to renew.
  • A 25-question open-book written knowledge test may be required if you have had one (1) or more citations in one (1) year, have been suspended or revoked, or your Utah limited-term has expired for more than six (6) months.


  1. Complete the driver license application online.
  2. Once you have completed the application, you will be directed to schedule a limited-term appointment for your visit.
  3. Click here to get started.

Note: If you renew your driver license before your 21st birthday, the driver license will still show minor. You would not be issued an “adult” driver license until on or after your 21st birthday.

Note: If the name from your driver license or identity card is different than the name on your identity document (e.g., birth certificate, passport), it must be accompanied by legal documentation authorizing the name change. These include a certified state marriage certificate, divorce decree, adoption, citizenship, guardianship, or court documents indicating the name change.

Note: By law, you may not possess more than one REAL ID compliant certificate at a time (e.g., a Utah driver license and a Colorado ID.)

After all requirements for a limited-term have been completed, you will receive a temporary limited-term with a photo on the same day. The completed limited-term will have an expiration date of your legal presence document or 5 years, whichever is sooner; or 1-year from the date of issuance if there is no expiration date and will be mailed to you in approximately 4-6 weeks.