Requirements for obtaining a first-time original Utah driver license:
- You must be at least 16 years old to apply.
- You cannot apply until you have carried your learner permit for six (6) months (only required until the age of 18.)
- You will need to visit one of our Driver License offices.
- You will take a photo upon arrival.
- You will be required to pass the eye test.
- Submit a nonrefundable fee of $39.00.
- Bring your learner permit with you (no other documents are required because they were already verified when applying for your learner permit.)
- Complete this online exam before you can be fully licensed Traffic Safety and Trends Exam.
- Your driver education course information will be submitted electronically and entered onto your driving record; however, if you are age 19 and older and opt out of taking a driver education course (not required for age 19+), you must hold a learner permit for 90 days, plus complete at least 40 hours of practice driving (10 hours after sunset.)
- You will be required to pass a 50-question written knowledge test and a driving skills test (these tests may be done through the driver education course, or if you are opting out of the driver education course (at age 19+), you will take the written knowledge test when you schedule your driver license appointment, and you will need to make a second appointment for the driving skills test portion after the written knowledge test is passed.)
- Bring a parent/legal guardian to sign for financial responsibility (age 17 and under.) The parent/legal guardian must also sign off on 40 hours of practice driving (10 hours after sunset.) At any time, the parent or legal guardian who signed for financial responsibility on the minor’s application can withdraw their signature until the minor is 18 years of age and for any reason. This action would invalidate the driver license, and the minor could reapply when they reach the age of 18 or if the parent/legal guardian signed a new application. There would be a licensing fee and a written knowledge test to reapply.
- Understand the requirements/restrictions that are in place for the minor driver at certain ages.
- Complete the driver license application online.
- Once you have completed the application, you will be directed to schedule a provisional appointment for your visit.
- Click here to get started.
Note: If your name is different than the name on your identity document (e.g., birth certificate, passport), it must be accompanied by legal documentation authorizing the name change. These include a certified state marriage certificate, divorce decree, adoption, citizenship, guardianship, or court documents indicating the name change.
Note: By law, you may not possess more than one REAL ID compliant certificate at a time (e.g., a Utah driver license and a Colorado ID.)
After all requirements for a driver license have been completed, you will receive a temporary license with a photo on the same day. The completed driver license with a 5-year expiration will be mailed to you in approximately 4-6 weeks.