- When accompanied by a licensed driver at least 21 years of age who is occupying a seat next to the driver.
- Driving is in connection with the driver’s employment, including the trip to and from the driver’s residence and the driver’s employment.
- The driver drives directly to the driver’s residence from a school-sponsored activity by a school or school district, and the provided transportation commenced from and returns to the school property where the driver is enrolled.
- The driver is on assignment of a farmer or rancher and the driver is engaged in an agricultural operation.
- In an emergency.
Passenger limitations whether resident or nonresident of this state, may not operate a motor vehicle upon any highway (ANY public roadway) with any passenger who is not an immediate family member of the driver until the earlier of:
- Six months from the date the license was issued; or
- The driver reaches 18 years of age.
Exceptions to this rule are:
- If accompanied by a licensed driver at least 21 years of age.
- On assignment of a farmer or rancher and the driver is engaged in an agricultural operation.
- In an emergency.
Things parents should know:
- Your son/daughter may obtain a learner permit at the age of 15.
- They must carry a learner permit for 6 months before being able to apply for a driver license at the age of 16.
- Must complete a driver education course after learner permit is issued.
- Must complete the online Traffic Safety and Trends Exam before license is issued.
- Pass an eye test, written knowledge test, and driving skills test.
- Complete 40 hours of driving with parent, 10 of which are after dark.
- You must sign for financial responsibility until they are the age of 18. You can at anytime and for any reason withdraw your signature and this would cancel your minor’s driver license. Call our Customer Service Section with questions.
- Your minor that is younger than 17 cannot drive in Utah between the hours of 12:00 am and 5:00 am, there are some exceptions stated above.
- Your minor that is 16 or 17 may not drive with any passengers who is not an immediate family member until six (6) months from the date the license was issued, “no driving with friends for the first six months.“
- Your minor cannot operate a motorcycle until they have tested and received a motorcycle endorsement.