Driver Education (19+)
Driver education is NOT required to apply for a Utah driver license.
You have two (2) options when applying for your first original Utah driver license when age 19 and older:
- Complete a driver education course; or
- Do not complete a driver education course and you will be required to carry a learner permit for 90 days, plus complete at least 40 hours of driving (10 hours must be at night.)
If you choose to complete a driver education course you must first apply for your Utah learner permit to enroll in a course. If you choose to not complete a driver education course, apply for your learner permit to start the licensing process.
If you are coming from another state, out-of-state driver education completion certificates must meet Utah’s required hours. If training is needed in order to be complete, you may make up the remaining hours at an approved Utah driving school (see below.) Out-of-state online or home study certificates will not be accepted.
Completion certificates must be on letter head or have a state approved seal and should not be mistaken as a license to drive. Your driver education course information will be entered electronically and submitted onto your driving record.
Please be aware that there are many online driver education courses offered on the internet. These courses may offer driver education or practice testing, but they have not been approved by the Driver License Division and cannot be accepted as proof of driver education completion.
Required hours to complete a driver education course:
- 27 hours of high school classroom instruction, or 18 hours of commercial/private school, or 30 hours of Utah approved online/home study course; and
- 6 hours of behind the wheel instruction.
- 6 hours of observation (state law does not require, however, the school or business can decide to implement and keep observation as part of their program. Utah high schools will require observation as part of their curriculum.)
Driver education course options:
- Your local high school.
- Through a commercial/private driver education school.
- Approved online/home study driver education course: