Driver License Menu

Motorcycle Endorsement Testing

Motorcycle Handbook

Lane Filtering

What license do I need to ride a motorcycle, moped, scooter, and other similar vehicles, click here.

By adding a motorcycle endorsement to your driver license, this requires you to obtain a new Utah driver license.  If your current Utah driver license expires in the next six (6) months you can renew for the next eight (8) years, or if the expiration date is more than six (6) months you would apply for a duplicate driver license and the expiration date would remain the same as it is now.  Once you have completed the process the M endorsement will be displayed on your driver license.

There are two (2) ways a motorcycle rider can obtain a motorcycle endorsement on their Utah driver license.  The first way to obtain your motorcycle endorsement is to follow these steps:

  • Fill out the driver license application online prior to your visit and bring with you.  Applications are available in the office, if needed.
  • SCHEDULE a duplicate driver license appointment to apply for the motorcycle endorsement  (you can only attempt ONE (1) driving skills test per day.)
  • Photo will be taken.
  • Bring your current Utah driver license.
  • Provide two (2) documents of Utah residence address if your address has changed.
  • Pass an eye (vision) test.
  • Pass a 25-question written knowledge motorcycle test (scores are good for one (1) year.)
  • Submit the fee for a renewal or duplicate driver license plus the motorcycle endorsement fee of $18.00.

Another way to obtain your motorcycle endorsement is to take a Motorcycle Safety Foundation Beginning Rider Course (BRC.)  Utah has a few schools that teach the beginning rider course (see phone numbers below.)  Once this course is successfully completed, you will be given a completion card to be taken into a Driver License Office and you will need to follow the same process as above. (Only the riding skills test portion will be waived.)

Once the written knowledge motorcycle test is successfully completed, you will receive a motorcycle learner permit.  This permit will allow you to operate your car and any size motorcycle.  When ready, you will need to SCHEDULE a motorcycle skills test appointment at the same Driver License Office to complete the motorcycle driving skills test (unless you have the ERC or BRC card.)  You will be permitted to bring your own motorcycle to the office with your permit.  If you successfully complete the driving skills test you will be finished and in 6-8 weeks you will receive your completed license in the mail.  The motorcycle must be properly registered and comply with vehicle safety laws.

For the first two (2) months of the permit you will be restricted to riding a motorcycle with:

  • No passengers.
  • No riding between the hours of 10:00 pm and 6:00 am.
  • No riding on highways posted more than 60 miles an hour.

There are no restrictions to your permit for the third through six (6) months.


  • If you test on a motorcycle/scooter 90 cc or less, you will be restricted to riding motorcycles/scooters 90 cc or less.
  • If you test on a motorcycle/scooter 249 cc or less, you will be restricted to riding motorcycles/scooters 249 cc or less.
  • If you test on a motorcycle/scooter 649 cc or less, you will be restricted to riding motorcycles/scooters 649 cc or less.
  • If you test on a motorcycle/scooter larger than 650 cc, you will not be restricted, you will be authorized to ride any size motorcycle/scooter.

The Utah Rider Education teaches in South Jordan, Ogden, Park City and St. George.   Salt Lake Community College teaches at the Redwood and South Jordan Campuses, Ogden and St. George.  Dixie State University teaches in St. George.

This course is a 15-hour course; ten (10) of the hours are spent on the motorcycle.  The schools provide motorcycles and helmets.  The schools use 150 cc and 250 cc motorcycles, if you take the course on one of those motorcycles you will be restricted to the size of motorcycle you test on.  If you want to ride motorcycles larger than what you tested on with the school, you can re-test with the school or with the Driver License Division.

Those schools also provide an Experienced Rider Course (ERC.)  This course is five (5) hours long and if you have recent motorcycle riding experience and have over 2000 miles on your motorcycle, you may take the ERC and ask to be tested on your own motorcycle and if you successfully complete the ERC test, you will receive a riding skills test waiver card that you can take to the Driver License Office.  You must show your completion card (BRC) or (ERC) to the Driver License Office within six (6) months of course completion to receive the riding skills test waiver.

Motorcycle Schools (call or visit website for fees and information):

After all requirements for a license have been successfully completed, you will receive a temporary license with a photo on the same day.  The completed license will then be mailed to you in approximately 8-10 weeks.