Driver License Menu

Required Documents for Your Appointment

If you are a U.S. Citizen, U.S. National or Permanent Resident Alien, you must provide documentation to obtain a Regular License, Learner Permit, Identification Card or Commercial Driver License:

Identity & Legal/Lawful Status Verification

(must provide one)

  • Valid, unexpired U.S. passport or passport card; or
  • Certified copy of a birth certificate filed with the State Office of Vital Statistics or equivalent agency in the individual’s state of birth (hospital document or small laminated official birth certificates issued by the Department of Health are NOT accepted); or
  • Consular Report of Birth Abroad (CRBA) issued by the U.S. Department of State, Form FS-240, DS-1350, or FS-545; or
  • Valid, unexpired Permanent Resident Card, Form I-551; or
  • Certificate of Naturalization issued by DHS, Form N-550 or Form N-570; or
  • Certificate of Citizenship, Form N-560 or Form N-561, issued by DHS.

Social Security Verification

(must provide one)

  • Social Security card issued by the U.S. government that has been signed; or
  • If the Social Security card is not available, the applicant may present one of the following documents which contain the applicant’s name and SSN:

    • W-2 form;
    • SSA-1099 form;
    • Non SSA-1099 form;
    • Pay stub showing the applicant’s name and SSN; or
  • Letter from the Social Security Administration indicating ineligibility to receive a Social Security Number

*No photocopies of ANY document will be accepted.

*Applicants requesting the “Veteran” indicator on their certificate must provide proof of their honorable discharge (DD214 or Record/Notice of Separation for WWII Veterans)

*Any name variation from your identity document must be accompanied by legal documentation authorizing the name change (marriage, divorce or court order)

Utah Residency Verification

(must provide two)
(if different than current Utah Driver License record)

  • Must display the applicant’s name and principle Utah residence address which may include:

    • Bank statement (dated within 60 days);
    • Court documents;
    • Current mortgage or rental contract;
    • Major credit card bill (dated within 60 days)
    • Property tax notice (statement or receipt dated within one year);
    • School transcript (dated within 90 days)
    • Utility bill (billing date within 60 days) (cell phone bills will not be accepted);
    • Valid Utah vehicle registration or title;
  • Other documents acceptable to the Division upon review
  • Only one document printed from the internet may be accepted.

Proof of Driving Experience

(must provide one for FIRST Utah License)
(not required when obtaining a learner permit)

  • Evidence of completion of a course in driver training; or
  • Evidence of a driving privilege issued in another state or country.
  • Note: Proof of driving experience is not required for applicants 19 years of age or older. (Must hold learner permit for a minimum of 3 months).

Please Note: Please plan to arrive for your scheduled appointment at least 5 minutes before you are scheduled to be seen. Your appointment block gives you priority consideration to be seen, provided you are present during that time. If you need to reschedule or change your appointment, you may do so by clicking on the confirmation link sent to the email address you provided.