Requirements for obtaining a taxi endorsement:
- Must be 21 years of age.
- You will need to visit one of our Driver License offices.
- You will take a photo upon arrival.
- You will be required to pass the eye test.
- Submit a nonrefundable fee of $23.00 for a duplicate license and $14.00 for the endorsement.
- Bring your current Utah driver license.
- If your Utah residence address has changed from what is on your current driver license, you will be required to provide two (2) documents of your Utah residence address. Visit the Required Documentation page for what is acceptable proof. You can also submit the address change online to avoid having to provide proof when coming into the office.
- You will be required to pass a 25-question closed book written knowledge test.
- Schedule a duplicate appointment for your visit.
- Complete the driver license application online and bring with you.
By adding an endorsement to your driver license, this requires you to obtain a new Utah driver license. If your current Utah driver license expires in the next six (6) months you can renew for the next eight (8) years, or if the expiration date is more than six (6) months you would apply for a duplicate driver license and the expiration date would remain the same as it is now. Once you have completed the process the Z endorsement will be displayed on your driver license.
PRIVATE PASSENGER CARRIERS
It is necessary that all private passenger carriers obtain a taxi endorsement, if they are operating a Class D vehicle to transport passengers for hire. Utah Senate Bill 12 defines private passenger carriers as individuals who are operating any motor vehicle for hire that is designed to transport 15 or fewer passengers, including the driver; and is operated to transport an employee of the person that hires the motor vehicle operator. All drivers who operate a motor vehicle on behalf of a business to transport employees, must obtain a taxi cab endorsement. See requirements above for obtaining a taxi endorsement. The definition for private passenger carrier does NOT include a motor vehicle driven by a “transportation network” as defined in UCA 13-51-102.
Effective 5.9.2017 HB391S01 removes the requirement for a person to have a Taxi endorsement on the person’s driver license to drive a taxicab in the state.
After all requirements for a license have been successfully completed, you will receive a temporary photo license on the same day. The completed license will then be mailed to you in approximately 4-6 weeks.