- You must be 21 years of age;
- Schedule an appointment for your visit, or walk-in at a driver license office;
- If you plan to walk-in you can complete the application in the office, or complete this online application ahead of time;
- Photo will be taken;
- Bring your current Utah driver license and two documents of Utah residence if your address has changed;
- Pass an eye test;
- Complete a 25-question written knowledge test that is closed book; and
- Pay the duplicate license fee of $18.00 and the taxi endorsement fee of $7.00
PRIVATE PASSENGER CARRIERS
It is necessary that all private passenger carriers obtain a taxi endorsement, if they are operating a Class D vehicle to transport passengers for hire. Utah Senate Bill 12 defines private passenger carriers as individuals who are operating any motor vehicle for hire that is designed to transport 15 or fewer passengers, including the driver; and is operated to transport an employee of the person that hires the motor vehicle operator. All drivers who operate a motor vehicle on behalf of a business to transport employees, must obtain a taxi cab endorsement. See requirements above for obtaining a taxi endorsement.
After all requirements for a license have been successfully completed, you will receive a temporary photo license on the same day. The completed license will then be mailed to you in approximately 6-8 weeks.