Adult CDL Renewal
Requirements for renewing your Utah commercial driver license:
- You can renew your Utah CDL six (6) months prior to the expiration date. If your Utah CDL will expire while you are temporarily out-of-state, you can apply to renew your Utah CDL more than six (6) months prior to the expiration date, if you provide proof that you will be absent from the state during the six (6) month period prior to the expiration date of your CDL.
- If you are an active duty military service member, your driver license will expire 90 days after discharge. Make sure to bring discharge documentation with you when you renew your CDL.
- You will need to visit one of our CDL Driver License offices.
- You will take a photo upon arrival.
- You will be required to pass the eye test.
- Submit a nonrefundable fee of $52.00, plus each CDL endorsement is $9.00; motorcycle endorsement is $18.00.
- Bring your current Utah CDL, DOT card and CDL medical self-certification form – only mark 1 box.
- If your Utah residence address has changed from what is on your current CDL, you will be required to provide two (2) documents of your Utah residence address. Visit the Required Documentation page for what is acceptable proof. You will not be able to change the address online as Federal regulations require that your current address be printed on your CDL.
- If your Utah CDL has been expired for more than six (6) months, you will be required to take all CDL written knowledge and driving skills tests to renew your CDL.
- A 25-question regular driver license (Class D) written knowledge test may be required if you have had more than four (4) citations in the past five (5) years, suspension or revocation in the past five (5) years, or license has been expired more than six (6) months.
- Schedule a CDL appointment for your visit. At this time our Farmington, Logan and Tooele offices do not process CDL’s.
- Complete the driver license application online and bring with you.
Note: If the name from your driver license or identity card is different than the name on your identity document (e.g., birth certificate, passport) it must be accompanied by legal documentation authorizing the name change. These include a certified state marriage certificate, divorce decree, adoption, citizenship, guardianship, or court documents indicating the name change.
After all requirements for a CDL have been successfully completed, you will receive a temporary CDL with a photo on the same day. The completed CDL with a 5-year expiration will then be mailed to you in approximately 4-6 weeks.