Driver License Menu

Minor CDL Original

Requirements for obtaining a first time Utah commercial driver license (CDL):

  • You need to hold a regular Class D driver license for a minimum of one (1) year.
  • You must be at least 18 years of age to apply.
  • Research which class of CDL you need.
  • Research any endorsements needed.
  • Obtain your DOT card.
  • You will need to visit one of our CDL Driver License offices.
  • You will take a photo upon arrival.
  • You will be required to pass the eye test.
  • Submit the nonrefundable fee of $52.00, plus each CDL endorsement is $9.00; motorcycle endorsement is $18.00.
  • Bring proof of identity (name and date of birth.)
  • Bring social security card.
  • Bring two (2) documents of Utah residence address.
  • Take the written knowledge test (based on endorsements needed.) When passed you will be issued a commercial learner permit (CLP.) You can study this CDL handbook to prepare for the written knowledge test.
  • Complete your CDL training with your company, or one of the Third Party Testers throughout the state.
  • Perform a driving skills test in appropriate vehicle for the Class of CDL you are applying for.  You can complete your driving skills test by a Third Party Tester, or by a Driver License Examiner.  An appointment is required if taking your driving skills test at the Driver License Office you first applied at (you can only attempt ONE (1) driving skills test per day.)  Once you have passed all your testing, return to the same office you started the process and an examiner will confirm your test scores and issue you a temporary CDL. **Military personnel may qualify for a waiver of the CDL driving skills test.  Please see our Written and Driving Skills Tests page for more information.


  1. Complete the driver license application online.
  2. Once you have completed the application you will be directed to schedule a CDL appointment for your visit. At this time our Farmington, Logan and Tooele offices do not process CDL’s.
  3. Click here to get started.

Note: If the name from your driver license or identity card is different than the name on your identity document (e.g., birth certificate or passport) it must be accompanied by legal documentation authorizing the name change.  These include a certified state marriage certificate, divorce decree, adoption, citizenship, guardianship, or court documents indicating the name change.

Note: By law you may not possess more than one REAL ID compliant certificate at a time (e.g., Utah driver license and a Colorado ID.)

After all requirements for a CDL have been successfully completed, you will receive a temporary CDL with a photo on the same day.  The completed CDL with the expiration date of 5 years will then be mailed to you in approximately 4-6 weeks.