Minor Limited-Term Original
A person who would need to obtain a Utah limited-term driver license:
- Individuals who are not U.S. citizens, but who are in the U.S. legally.
Requirements for obtaining a limited-term driver license:
- You must be at least 16 years old to apply.
- You cannot apply until you have carried your learner permit for 6 months (only required until the age of 18.)
- You will need to visit one of our Driver License offices.
- You will take a photo upon arrival.
- You will be required to pass the eye test.
- Submit a nonrefundable fee of $39.00.
- Bring proof of legal/lawful presence and identity (name and date of birth.)
- Bring social security card or proof of ineligibility to obtain a social security number.
- Bring two (2) documents of Utah residence address.
- Visit our Required Documentation page to find out what is acceptable proof of each type of document required.
- Must complete this online exam before you can be fully licensed Traffic Safety and Trends Exam (not required if providing evidence of a driving privilege in another state or country.)
- Your driver education course information will be entered electronically and submitted onto your driving record. However, if you are age 19 and older and opt out of taking a driver education course (not required for age 19+), you must hold a learner permit for 90 days, plus complete at least 40 hours of driving (10 hours must be at night.)
- You will be required to pass a 50-question written knowledge test and a driving skills test (these tests may be done through the driver education course, or if you are opting out of the driver education course (at age 19+), you will take the written knowledge test when you schedule your driver license appointment, and you will need to make a second appointment for the driving skills test portion after the written knowledge test is passed.)
- If you can provide evidence of a driving privilege in another state or country, driver education and the learner permit requirement does not apply and the written knowledge test would be 25 questions open-book. (Driving skills test would be required if providing evidence of a driving privilege from another country.)
- Bring a parent/legal guardian to sign for financial responsibility (for age 17 and under.) The parent/legal guardian must also sign off on 40 hours of practice driving (10 hours must be at night.) At any time the parent or legal guardian who signed for financial responsibility on the minor’s application can choose to withdraw their signature until the minor is 18 years of age, and for any reason. This action would invalidate the driver license and the minor could reapply when they reach the age of 18, or if the parent/legal guardian signed a new application. There would be a licensing fee and written knowledge test to reapply.
- Understand the requirements/restrictions that are in place for the minor driver at certain ages.
- Schedule a limited-term appointment for your visit.
- Complete the driver license application online and bring with you.
Note: If the name from your driver license or identity card is different than the name on your identity document (e.g., birth certificate, passport) it must be accompanied by legal documentation authorizing the name change. These include a certified state marriage certificate, divorce decree, adoption, citizenship, guardianship, or court documents indicating the name change.
After all requirements for a limited-term have been successfully completed, you will receive a temporary limited-term with a photo on the same day. The completed limited-term will have an expiration date of your legal presence document or 5 years, whichever is sooner; or 1-year from the date of issuance if there is not expiration date and will then be mailed to you in approximately 4-6 weeks.