Driver License Menu

Minor Refugee/Asylee/Covered Humanitarian (Afghan) Parolee

A person who would need to obtain a Utah limited-term driver license:

  • An applicant who provides acceptable proof of their status as a refugee, approved asylee, or covered humanitarian parolee.

Requirements for obtaining a limited-term driver license:

  • You must be at least 16 years old to apply.
  • You cannot apply until you have carried your learner permit for six (6) months (only required until the age of 18.)
  • You will need to visit one of our Driver License offices.
  • You will take a photo upon arrival.
  • You will be required to pass the eye test.
  • Submit a nonrefundable fee of $39.00.
  • Bring proof of legal/lawful presence and identity (name and date of birth.)
  • Bring social security card or proof of ineligibility to obtain a social security number.
  • Bring two (2) documents of Utah residence address.
  • Your driver education course information will be entered electronically and submitted onto your driving record. However, if you are age 19 and older and opt out of taking a driver education course (not required for age 19+), you must hold a learner permit for 90 days, plus complete at least 40 hours of driving (10 hours after sunset.)
  • You will be required to pass a 50-question written knowledge test that can be taken in your native language with the assistance of a state-certified in-person interpreting service (you’ll need to type “interpreters” in the keyword search to access the contracted vendors and select “in-person interpreting services” not “on-demand remote interpreting services.”) An interpreter who is registered with the court, must be certified or have approved credential level.  
  • Driving skills test (these tests may be done through the driver education course, or if you are opting out of the driver education course (at age 19+), you will take the written knowledge test when you schedule your driver license appointment, and you will need to make a second appointment for the driving skills test portion after the written knowledge test is passed.)
  • Provide evidence of a driving privilege issued in another country to waive the driver education or learner permit requirement (does require the 25-question open-book written knowledge test and a driving skills test would be required.
  • Must complete this online exam before you can be fully licensed Traffic Safety and Trends Exam (not required if providing evidence of a driving privilege in another country.)
  • Bring a parent/legal guardian to sign for financial responsibility (age 17 and under.) The parent/legal guardian must also sign off on 40 hours of practice driving (10 hours after sunset.) At any time, the parent or legal guardian who signed for financial responsibility on the minor’s application can withdraw their signature until the minor is 18 years of age and for any reason. This action would invalidate the driver license, and the minor could reapply when they reach the age of 18 or if the parent/legal guardian signed a new application. There would be a licensing fee and a written knowledge test to reapply.
  • Understand the requirements/restrictions that are in place for the minor driver at certain ages.

The applicant will be allowed to renew the limited-term driver license for five (5) years without taking the exam in English. If a written knowledge test is required, the applicant may use a certified interpreter or a kiosk in their native language.

Upon the second renewal of the Utah driving privilege, they must pass the written knowledge test at a kiosk in English. If the applicant cannot pass the written knowledge test in English, they will not receive any driving privileges. As long as the applicant’s status is refugee or approved asylee, they will be eligible for a five (5) year limited-term driver license.


  1. Complete the driver license application online.
  2. Once you have completed the application, you will be directed to schedule a renewal appointment for your visit.
  3. Click here to get started.

Note: If the name from your driver license or identity card is different than the name on your identity document (e.g., birth certificate, passport), it must be accompanied by legal documentation authorizing the name change. These include a certified state marriage certificate, divorce decree, adoption, citizenship, guardianship, or court documents indicating the name change.

Note: By law, you may not possess more than one REAL ID compliant certificate at a time (e.g., a Utah driver license and a Colorado ID.)

After all requirements for a limited-term have been completed, you will receive a temporary limited-term with a photo on the same day. The completed limited-term will have an expiration date of your legal presence document or 5 years, whichever is sooner; or 1-year from the date of issuance if there is no expiration date and will then be mailed to you in approximately 4-6 weeks.