Driver License Menu

Adult CDL From Out-of-State

Requirements for obtaining a first time Utah commercial driver license (CDL) if you have recently become a resident of the state of Utah:

  • You will need to visit one of our CDL Driver License offices.
  • You will take a photo upon arrival.
  • You will be required to pass the eye test.
  • Submit the nonrefundable fee of $52.00, plus each CDL endorsement is $9.00; motorcycle endorsement is $18.00.
  • Bring proof of identity (name and date of birth.)
  • Bring social security card.
  • Bring two (2) documents of Utah residence address.
  • Bring your valid CDL from another state (which you will surrender upon application.)
  • Bring your DOT card to be verified.
  • You will be required to pass a 25-question written knowledge test that is open-book.
  • If you have a Hazmat endorsement it requires a federal background check completed within the last 5 years and a specialized written knowledge test. School bus endorsement would require a specialized written knowledge test.


  1. Schedule a CDL appointment for your visit. At this time our Farmington, Logan and Tooele offices do not process CDL’s.
  2. Complete the driver license application online and bring with you.

Note: If the name from your driver license or identity card is different than the name on your identity document (e.g., birth certificate or passport) it must be accompanied by legal documentation authorizing the name change.  These include a certified state marriage certificate, divorce decree, adoption, citizenship, guardianship, or court documents indicating the name change.

After all requirements for a license have been successfully completed, you will receive a temporary license with a photo on the same day.  The completed license with the expiration date of 5 years will then be mailed to you in approximately 4-6 weeks.