Adult CDL From Out-of-State
Requirements for obtaining a first-time Utah commercial driver license (CDL) if you have recently become a resident of the state of Utah:
- You will need to visit one of our CDL Driver License offices.
- You will take a photo upon arrival.
- You will be required to pass the eye test.
- Submit the nonrefundable fee of $52.00, plus each CDL endorsement is $9.00; motorcycle endorsement is $18.00.
- Bring proof of identity (name and date of birth.)
- Bring social security card.
- Bring two (2) documents of Utah residence address.
- Visit our Required Documentation page for what is acceptable proof of each type of document required.
- Bring your valid CDL from another state (which you will surrender upon application.)
- Bring your DOT card to be verified.
- You will be required to pass a 25-question written knowledge test that is open-book.
- If you have a Hazmat endorsement, it requires a federal background check completed within the last five years and a specialized written knowledge test. School bus endorsement would require a specialized written knowledge test.
- Complete the driver license application online.
- Once you have completed the application, you will be directed to schedule a CDL appointment for your visit. Currently, our Farmington, Logan, and Tooele offices do not process CDL’s.
- Click here to get started.
Note: If the name from your driver license or identity card is different than the name on your identity document (e.g., birth certificate or passport), it must be accompanied by legal documentation authorizing the name change. These include a certified state marriage certificate, divorce decree, adoption, citizenship, guardianship, or court documents indicating the name change.
Note: By law, you may not possess more than one REAL ID compliant certificate at a time (e.g., a Utah driver license and a Colorado ID.)
After all requirements for a license have been completed, you will receive a temporary license with a photo on the same day. The completed license with an expiration date of 5 years will be mailed to you in approximately 4-6 weeks.