Driver License Menu

Motorcycle Endorsement

Motorcycle Handbook

What license do I need to ride a motorcycle, moped, scooter, and other similar vehicles, click here.

By adding a motorcycle endorsement to your driver license, this requires you to obtain a new Utah driver license.  If your current driver license expires in the next 6 months you can renew for the next 5 years, or if the expiration date is more than 6 months you would apply for a duplicate driver license and the expiration date would remain the same as it is now.  Once you have completed the process the M endorsement will be displayed on your driver license.

There are two ways a motorcycle rider can obtain a motorcycle endorsement on their Utah driver license.
The first way to obtain your motorcycle endorsement is to follow these steps:

  • Schedule an appointment for your visit, or walk-in at a driver license office;
  • If you plan to walk-in you can complete the application in the office, or complete this online application ahead of time;
  • Photo will be taken;
  • Bring your current Utah driver license and two documents of Utah residence if your address has changed;
  • Pass an eye test;
  • Pass a 25-question written knowledge motorcycle test; and
  • Submit the fee for a renewal or duplicate driver license plus the motorcycle endorsement fee of $9.50.

Another way to obtain your motorcycle endorsement is to take a Motorcycle Safety Foundation Beginning Rider Course (BRC.)  Utah has a few schools that teach the beginning rider course (see phone numbers below.)  Once this course is successfully completed, you will be given a completion card to be taken into a driver license office and you will need to follow the same process as above, only the riding skills test portion will be waived.

Once the written knowledge test is successfully completed, you will receive a motorcycle learner permit.  This permit will allow you to operate your car and any size motorcycle.  When ready, you will need to schedule an appointment at the same driver license office to complete the motorcycle riding skills test (unless you have the ERC or BRC card.)  You will be permitted to bring your own motorcycle to the office with your permit.  If you successfully complete the riding skills test you will be finished and in 6-8 weeks you will receive your completed license in the mail.

For the first two months of the permit you will be restricted to riding a motorcycle with:

  • No passengers
  • No riding between the hours of 10:00 pm and 6:00 am
  • No riding on highways posted more than 60 miles an hour

There are no restrictions to your permit for the third through six months


  • If you test on a motorcycle/scooter 90 cc or less, you will be restricted to riding motorcycles/scooters 90 cc or less.
  • If you test on a motorcycle/scooter 249 cc or less, you will be restricted to riding motorcycles/scooters 249 cc or less.
  • If you test on a motorcycle/scooter 649 cc or less, you will be restricted to riding motorcycles/scooters 649 cc or less.
  • If you test on a motorcycle/scooter larger than 650 cc, you will not be restricted, you will be authorized to ride any size motorcycle/scooter.

The Utah Motorcyclist Association teaches in Ogden, South Jordan, Lehi, Price, Moab and Roosevelt.   Salt Lake Community College teaches at the Redwood and South Jordan Campuses, Ogden and Hurricane.  Dixie College teaches in St. George.

This course is a 15-hour course; ten of the hours are spent on the motorcycle.  The schools provide motorcycles and helmets.  The schools use 150 cc and 250 cc motorcycles, so if you take the course on one of those motorcycles you will be restricted to the size of motorcycle you test on.  If you want to ride motorcycles larger than what you tested on with the school, you can re-test with the school or with the Driver License Division.

Those schools also provide an Experienced Rider Course (ERC.)  This course is 5 hours long and if you have recent motorcycle riding experience and have over 2000 miles on your motorcycle, you may take the ERC and ask to be tested on your own motorcycle and if you successfully complete the ERC test, you will receive a riding skills test waiver card that you can take to the driver license office.  You must show your completion card (BRC) or (ERC) to the driver license office within six months of course completion to receive the riding skills test waiver.

Motorcycle Schools (call for fees and information):

  • Dixie College
    225 South 700 East
    St. George Utah 84770
    (435) 652-7664
  • Salt Lake Community College Redwood Campus
    4600 South Redwood Road
    Salt Lake City, Utah
    (801) 957-5200
  • Utah Motorcyclist Association
    (801) 394-6564 or 1-888-743-3881
    Classes taught in Ogden, South Jordan, Lehi, Price, Moab, and Roosevelt.

After all requirements for a license have been successfully completed, you will receive a temporary photo license on the same day.  The completed license will then be mailed to you in approximately 6-8 weeks.