Driver License Menu

Adult Advance Parolee, Humanitarian Parolee, and Parolee

Parolee is a discretionary decision that permits a non-citizen to be physically present in the United States. It is granted on a case-by-case basis for urgent humanitarian reasons or significant public benefit. Parolee falls under Section 212(d)(5)(A) of the Immigration and Nationality Act (8 U.S.C 1182(d)(5)(A)).

The Government Funding and Delivery Emergency Assistance Act, enacted into law on September 30, 2021, includes a provision making certain citizens and nationals of Afghanistan paroled into the United States eligible for REAL ID-compliant driver license and identification card. Those individuals were paroled into the United States as a Covered Humanitarian (Afghanistan) Parolee. Pub. L. 117-43, Div. C, Title V, § 2502. To apply for a limited-term driver license, click here.

This act did not include humanitarian parolee, advance parolee, or other parolees entering into the United States to be eligible for a REAL ID-compliant driver license or identification card; however, a parolee is legally allowed to enter the United States and apply for other qualifying benefits.

A parolee is not one of the lawful status categories covered by the REAL ID Act, as per the Department of Homeland Security. However, parolees with another eligible category covered under the REAL ID Act, such as an approved or pending application for temporary protected status or asylum, can potentially qualify for a REAL ID-compliant driver license or identification card. In addition, many driver license issuing authorities allow parolees to apply for a driver license that is not REAL ID-compliant. The non-REAL ID-compliant license in Utah is the Driving Privilege Card (DPC.)

Please Note: Ukrainian nationals or Venezuelan nationals and their immediate family members paroled into the United States are not eligible for a REAL ID-compliant driver license or identification card because the parolee is not included in the REAL ID Act as a category authorized to receive a REAL ID-compliant license or identification card.

An individual who is legally allowed in the United States: advance parolee, humanitarian parolee, parolee, or any other status who is unable to provide an approved status can apply for a driving privilege card (DPC.) This driving privilege will allow the person to legally operate a motor vehicle. To apply for a driving privilege card (DPC), click here. If you have never been licensed anywhere the first step is to apply for a learner permit.