Adult From Out-of-State
Requirements for obtaining a first time original Utah driver license if you have recently become a resident of the state of Utah:
- You will need to visit one of our Driver License offices.
- You will take a photo upon arrival.
- You will be required to pass the eye test.
- Submit a nonrefundable fee of $52.00.
- Bring proof of identity (name and date of birth.)
- Bring social security card.
- Bring two (2) documents of Utah residence address.
- Visit our Required Documentation page for what is acceptable proof of each type of document required.
- Bring your valid driver license from another state (which you will surrender upon application.)
- You will be required to pass a 25-question written knowledge test that is open-book.
- Schedule an original over 21 appointment for your visit.
- Complete the driver license application online and bring with you.
Note: If the name from your driver license or identity card is different than the name on your identity document (e.g., birth certificate, passport) it must be accompanied by legal documentation authorizing the name change. These include a certified state marriage certificate, divorce decree, adoption, citizenship, guardianship, or court documents indicating the name change.
After all requirements for a driver license have been successfully completed, you will receive a temporary license with a photo on the same day. The completed driver license with an 8-year expiration will then be mailed to you in approximately 4-6 weeks.