Requirements for obtaining a first time original Utah driver license:
- You will need to visit one of our Driver License offices.
- You will take a photo upon arrival.
- You will be required to pass the eye test.
- Submit a nonrefundable fee of $52.00.
- Bring proof of identity (name and date of birth.)
- Bring social security card.
- Bring two (2) documents of Utah residence address.
- Visit our Required Documentation page for what is acceptable proof of each type of document required.
- Because you are an adult and over the age of 19, driver education is not required, however, you have two (2) options:
- Complete a driver education course; or
- Do not complete a driver education course and you will be required to carry a learner permit for 90 days, plus complete at least 40 hours of driving (10 hours must be at night)
- Either option requires this online exam to be completed before you can be fully licensed Traffic Safety and Trends Exam (must apply before you can take this exam because it requires the licensing number that you will be issued)
- You will be required to pass a 50-question written knowledge test and a driving skills test (these tests may be done through the driver education course, or if you are opting out of the driver education course, you will take the written knowledge test when you schedule your driver license appointment, and you will need to make a second appointment for the driving skills test portion after the written knowledge test is passed.)
- Schedule an original over 21 appointment for your visit.
- Complete the driver license application online and bring with you.
Note: If your name is different than the name on your identity document (e.g., birth certificate, passport) it must be accompanied by legal documentation authorizing the name change. These include a certified state marriage certificate, divorce decree, adoption, citizenship, guardianship, or court documents indicating the name change.
After all requirements for a driver license have been successfully completed, you will receive a temporary license with a photo on the same day. The completed driver license with an 8-year expiration will then be mailed to you in approximately 4-6 weeks.