CDL Classes and Restrictions
Class A and B or both vehicles with a gross total weight rating of 26,001 pounds. Class A requiring a towed unit of 10,001 pounds or more (i.e. tractor-trailer.) Class B does not have a towed unit (i.e. bus, dump truck, etc.)
Class C is a vehicle which gross weight rating is below 26,001 pounds, but is carrying 16 or more passengers including the driver or is placarded for hazardous material.
A CDL might also have restrictions placed on the license. Restrictions may be added to a CDL due to wearing corrective lenses, written knowledge tests not taken, or equipment used during the driving skills testing.
Utah CDL restrictions:
- A No restrictions
- B Driver must wear corrective lenses
- E Vehicle must be equipped with an automatic transmission
- J Which restricts the driver for any other CDL restriction deemed necessary by the division
- K Which restricts the driver to driving intrastate only any commercial motor vehicle
- L Which restricts the driver to driving a commercial motor vehicle not equipped with air brakes
- M Driver may not transport passengers using a Class A bus
- N Driver may not transport passengers using a Class A or B bus
- O No tractor-trailer CMV
- V Variance