Driver License Menu

CDL Original, Renewal, Duplicate

Once you have obtained a DOT card you will want to research which class of CDL you need, and if there are any endorsements needed.  Then to prepare for the written knowledge test, study the Utah CDL handbook.

  • Visit one of our driver license offices – however, Farmington, Logan, Provo and Tooele offices do not process CDL’s at this time.
  • Complete the driver license application in the office, or ahead of time online.  (CDL’s are not able to schedule appointments due to Federal guidelines.)
  • Photo will be taken.
  • Provide proof of citizenship and identity (name and DOB.)  Provide social security card.  Provide two (2) documents of your Utah residence address.  Visit our required documentation page for what is acceptable proof of each type of document required.
  • Pass the eye (vision) test.
  • Take the written knowledge test (based on endorsements needed.)
  • Pay the applicable fee of $52.00 plus each CDL endorsement is $9.00.  If you currently have the motorcycle endorsement on your Class D driver license you will need to pay the additional $18.00 motorcycle endorsement because your license/endorsement will extend for another five (5) years.
  • When the written knowledge test is passed you will be issued a commercial learner permit (CLP.)
  • Complete your CDL training with your company, or one of the third party testers throughout the state.
  • Perform a driving skills test in appropriate vehicle for the Class of CDL you are applying for.  You can complete your driving skills test by a third party tester, or by a driver license examiner.  An appointment is required if taking your driving skills test at the driver license office you first applied at.  Once you have passed all your testing, return to the same office you started the process and an examiner will confirm your test scores and issue you a temporary CDL.

If the name from your driver license or identity card is different than the name on your identity document (e.g., birth certificate or passport) it must be accompanied by legal documentation authorizing the name change.  These include a certified state marriage certificate, divorce decree, adoption, citizenship, guardianship, or court documents indicating the name change.

**Military personnel may qualify for a waiver of the CDL driving skills test.  Please see our written and skills testing page for more information.

You can renew up to six (6) months prior to your Utah driver license expiring.

If you are planning to be out of the state for longer than six (6) months prior to your license expiring, you can provide documentation to the Driver License Division before the renewal time period.

If you are an active duty military service member, your driver license will expire 90 days after discharge.  Make sure to bring discharge documentation with you when you renew your CDL.

To obtain a duplicate or renewal CDL you only need to bring your current Utah driver license and DOT card, appear at one of our driver license offices,  and complete a driver license application, take your photo, and pay the applicable fee.

To make it easier, here are the links to some of the documents you will need:

Driver License Application

DOT Card and CDL Medical Self-Certification (only mark 1 box)

A written knowledge test will be required for all CDL holders who have a hazmat or school bus endorsement.  This written knowledge test is required every five (5) years when you renew.  Hazmat will also require you to undergo another Federal background check (good for five (5) years.)  Doing the background check before you renew will ensure that your CDL does not get disqualified for having your background check expire and will make the process go smoother when you appear at the driver license office to renew.

Please see our endorsements page for detailed information on how to apply for this.

If your CDL has been expired for more than six (6) months, you will be required to take all CDL written knowledge and driving skills testing to renew your driver license.

A 25-question regular driver license (Class D) written knowledge test may be required if you have had more than four (4) citations in the past five (5) years, suspension or revocation in the past five (5) years, or license has been expired more than six (6) months.

As a CDL holder you are required to change your address on your driver license no later than 30 days after you’ve moved.  You will not be able to change the address online as Federal regulations require that your current address be printed on your CDL.  You will need to appear at a driver license office.

Additionally, you will be required to provide proof of current Utah residency.  Current meaning your address verification must be dated within 60 days.  Please see our required documentation page for some ideas on what residency would be accepted.

Duplicate $23.00
Renewal $52.00
Each CDL Endorsement is $9.00
If you have the motorcycle endorsement, it is $18.00 to renew

After all requirements for a license have been successfully completed, you will receive a temporary license with a photo on the same day.  The completed license will then be mailed to you in approximately 8-10 weeks.