Driver License Menu

Driver License FAQs

What forms of ID do I need if I lost my Utah License?

To replace a lost Utah driver license you must appear at a Driver License office and provide two (2) proofs of documentation.  You can visit our Required Documentation page to see what works as proof.  This applies to duplicate, renewal, and lapsed Utah driver licenses.

What do I need for a first-time Utah driver license?

To apply for a first time Utah driver license you must be at least 16 years of age, have held a Utah learner permit for six (6) months if under 18 years of age, furnish proof of a prior driver license or proof of driver education if under 19 years of age, provide two (2) proofs of your Utah residence, proof of identity, full social security number and legal lawful presence.  Visit our Required Documentation to see what works as proof.

If the applicant has changed names, a certified marriage or court document is also required.

A U.S. military issued driver license is accepted with the same requirements as a license issued by a foreign country; in addition to all other licensing requirements, the applicant must pass eye, written knowledge, and driving skills test.

Do I have to have a Utah Identification card to obtain a Utah driver license?

No; effective July 1, 2012 it is against the law to possess both a Utah driver license and Utah identification card.

How early can I renew my Utah driver license?

You can renew your driver license up to six (6) months prior to the expiration date.

Can I get an adult license prior to my 21st birthday?

No; our system will not allow us to issue an adult license until the individual has reached their 21st birthday, even if your 21st birthday falls on a weekend or holiday.

How long do I have to switch my license from another state?

Utah law does not have a grace period in which to change an out-of-state driver license to a Utah license.  It simply requires a resident to have a valid Utah driver license, when driving in Utah.  A person is considered a Utah resident if the person establishes a domicile here, remains here longer than six (6) months, engages in other than seasonal employment; or obtains Utah privileges not ordinarily afforded nonresidents, such as obtaining a driver license, vehicle registration, or placing children in a Utah school etc.

Resident does not include temporary employment, military or religious assignments; or out-of-state students (paying out-of-state tuition.)

I’ve lost my out-of-state license, now what?

To apply in Utah for a license without your out-of-state license, you must present original or copies certified by the issuing agency showing identity, legal/lawful presence, full social security number or ITIN, two (2) documents of your Utah residence and evidence of name change, if applicable.  Visit our Required Documentation page to see what works as proof.  The Utah Driver License Division must be able to verify your current driver license. We will contact your prior state electronically to verify a “valid” driving status.  This check takes a minimum of 24 hours.  You will then have to pass an eye test and written knowledge test that is 25 questions open-book.  If your out-of-state driver license has expired, you may also be required to pass the driving skills test.

Can I get a Utah license if my driving status in another state is “not valid?”

No; you must first clear the license action(s) with the other state(s) before you can complete the process for a driver license in Utah.

If I am under 18 and need a duplicate driver license, do I need my parent to sign again for me?

No; once your parent has signed for financial responsibility they are not required to sign again.

How long will it take to get my driver license in the mail, and what if I have not received it?

When you apply for your driver license at one of our Driver License offices, or you renew your Utah driver license online it will take 4-6 weeks for processing.  After that time if you have not received your driver license, please contact our Customer Service Section at 801.965.4437 to find out if your driver license has been returned to our Central office, or check the status online to see if it is still processing.

What if I am going to be out of state when my Utah driver license expires, for example temporarily assigned to work out of state, attending school out-of-state or serving a church mission?

If your Utah driver license will expire while you are temporarily out of state, you can apply to renew your Utah driver license more than six (6) months prior to the expiration date if you provide proof that you will be absent from the state during the six (6) month period prior to the expiration date of the license.  You will also need to provide documents required for the renewal process (refer to the Required Documentation page on these requirements.)

Is it true I don’t need to take a driver education course if I am 19 and older?

Correct; if you are the age of 19 and older, you do not need to take a driver education course to obtain your Utah driver license.  However, without proof of a previous state or country driver license or driver education, you will be required to pass a written knowledge test; carry a Utah learner permit for 90 days; complete 40 hours of driving, and pass a driving skills test.