Original ID Card
To apply for a first time identification card in Utah:
- Complete the identification card application online prior to your visit and bring with you. Applications are available in the office, if needed.
- Schedule an identification card appointment for your visit.
- Photo will be taken upon arrival.
- Provide proof of identity (name and date of birth.) Provide social security card. Provide two (2) documents of your Utah residence address. Visit our Required Documentation page for what is acceptable proof of each type of document required.
- Submit the nonrefundable fee of $23.00.
If the name from your identification card or identity card is different than the name on your identity document (e.g., birth certificate, passport) it must be accompanied by legal documentation authorizing the name change. These include a certified state marriage certificate, divorce decree, adoption, citizenship, guardianship, or court documents indicating the name change.
After all requirements for an identification card have been successfully completed you will receive a temporary identification card with a photo on the same day. The completed identification card will then be mailed to you in approximately 4-6 weeks.